Monday, August 27, 2012

A Random Poll

Not Kris Kahrs
by Kris Kahrs

While The Pen and Ink Blog crew (otherwise known as the Inkies) were screwing around attending the SCBWI summer conference, we managed to take an informal poll of conference impressions sorted by kidlit genre.  Here are the results we came up with and by 'we' I mean Pickles the 20 lb. desk cat who performed all of the necessary collating of results here.

Question posed:  How did you enjoy the SCBWI Summer Conference?

Young Adult Writers said:  "Not enough vampires."

Tween Writers said:   "Ith wath sthupendous."

Middle Grade Writers said:  "I won't eat chicken and you can't make me."

The Picture Book Writers said: "One book, two book, red book, blue book.  This one has a little star, this one has a little car.  Hey!  What a lot of books there are!"

Chapter Book Writers said:  "Oh, yes, and at the party on Saturday night, I ran into Andrea Welch of Beachlane and she said, 'Sure, I'll read your..."

Urban Writers said: "Yo, Dawg, I was feelin' it.  Just like back in the day."

Contemporary Writers said: "Dude, we freaked."

Dystopian Writers said: "The Conference was like another world."

Romance Writers said: *sigh* "We could not have asked for more moving speakers who spoke with such palpable feeling that we were left utterly devoid of any energy to protect ourselves from the ravishment of our emotions *gasp*."

Fantasy Writers said: "The whole conference had an ethereal feel as if the spirit of all the writing fairies were there, sprinkling all of us with publishing dust."

The Quiet book Writers said: "wow".

There you have it folks.  A fair and balanced perspective of the SCBWI conference.  Now, don't you wish you had gone?

26 comments:

  1. And cows go: "Moooo..."
    Sincerely,
    Silly String

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to my first regional conference in September. Thanks, now I will be able to make an audial identification of fellow attendees! Lol, very funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie--

      Oh, the places you'll go... (with apologies to Dr. Seuss).

      Delete
  3. I thought I'd gone. Musta been a nother one....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, that was the supernatural genre. They had their own.

      Delete
  4. My answer is, YEAH! I wish I had gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan--

      We missed you there. We hope to see you at the next one!

      Delete
  5. roflol Any you write...? Early chapter books like Chet Gecko?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My genre du jour is YA Supernatural thriller with a Diet Coke chaser.

      Delete
    2. Bruce Hale, we are not. I am trying my hand at one, though.

      Delete
  6. Hi Corey--

    Thanks for taking the time out from Picture Book Ninja (a wonderful blog) to take a stroll over to the Inkies! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I'd gone but I'm nervous to go to such a big conference. It feels really overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm the shy, quiet type and don't like crowds.
      Sincerely,
      Astrophobic

      Delete
    2. Hi Natalie- At least 50% of the Inkies don't like crowds either. Put a deskcat on your shoulder and you'll feel like you can do anything.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  8. And the agents said, I've heard it all before...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi all, I'm shy, too. But I am going to the SF regional Conference October (and hoping to get to know more than the half a dozen folks I know who will be there.) Yes, networking and keeping up is good, but big crowds overwhelm me. I like the smaller break out/workshop groups.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Penelope--

    While you're up there, please stop by our foreign correspondent office and say 'hi' to our intrepid reporter, Lupe Fernandez.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No! Too many geeks for me! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I would have liked to go, but at least I get to read your top notch reportage about it right here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan. Hope we see you there next year, so we can drag you into one of our escapades!

      Delete

We love hearing from you.