Please tell me your favorite. Want to share your best first line from your own work? Comments welcomed. Happy reading and writing.
Prose first lines1. Everything was just dandy till that Emily Post book showed up.
Thanks a LOT, Emily Post! by Jennifer Larue Huget, Illustrated by Alexandra Boiger (First book)
9. Mama love to sing. Her singing was always a happy part of everyday life. But everything changed the day after my seventh birthday.
ExtraYarn by Mac Barnette. Illustrated by Jon Klassen Extra Yarn is a also Caldecott Honors Book for 2012
Mr. Tiger Goes Wild written and illustrated by Peter Brown 2014 Cybil winner.
14. The Lion is known throughout the animal kingdom as the “King of Beasts.”
The Great White Shark is the most feared predator in the ocean.
And the Timberwolf’s howl strikes terror into the hearts of fuzzy woodland creatures everywhere.
But even SAVAGE CARNIVORES get their feelings hurt.
The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend, Written and Illustrated by Dan Santat
Picture Books that Rhyme
1. Not last night but the night before, three black cats came knocking at the door.
Not Last Night But The Night Before by Colin McNaughton, Illus by Emma Chichester Clark
2. One morning at the breakfast table, when I read the juice box label, (thinking it was tightly closed), my daddy’s pants got orange-hosed.
When I grow up, I'll live in a tree.
Just my cats, Quentin, Quigley and me.
9. Dusk creeps in and day is done.
The last few rays of stubborn sun
Cling to the hilltop, tree and town.
We wish that we could push it down.
Bats at the Ballgame Written and illustrated by Brian Lies