Thursday, December 9, 2010

Time for another first lines post

by Susan Berger

These lines are from middle grade and YA. Seven of them are first books. One has not yet been published, but I am sure it is going to be a first book. If you know any of these books, please leave a comment. If you have a favorite first line, please send it to me. (Even if it is from your book that had not yet be accepted for publication.)

My next post will be the answers, plus ten more lines.
1. "NO WAY,” I hissed through the slatted dressing room door, “I am not coming out.”

2. Fox Street was a dead end. In Mo Wren’s opinion, this was only one of many wonderful distinguishing thinks about it.

3. I was born into the sovereignty of nerds from which few have escaped and of which even fewer have had sex. For thirteen harrowing years nerdiness reigned supreme, leaving me unattractive and socially awkward with little more than a stellar report card to call a friend.

4. Frannie Lawrence believed in secrets. The Things you didn’t talk about the way words said out loud could. Words made the bad things too real sometimes. Better to keep silent with the hurt locked safely away.

5. I HAVE A PERFECT MOUTH. That is, at least according to my dentist, AKA my dad, AKA Dr. Dad.

6. It all started with Aldwyn’s whiskers beginning to tingle- the way they always did when he was hungry. Food had been getting hard to come by these last few months.

7. My earliest memory is fuzzy. Not because of time but because I’m looking out of a full body jumper. It’s sea foam green. My mom has cinched the head so tight that my vision is a fleecy porthole.

8. I pulled up on the front of my pink leotard and turned to the mirror to look at my large behind. No change there. I stretched the fabric tightly across my chest and frowned. Almost a sophomore and still no need of a bra. So much for cutting all those carbs. The calories would always hit us black girls in the wrong places.

9. “Hey, chubbo quit hogging the sidewalk!” Kenny Thompson yanked the front of his bike off the ground, circled around eight-year-old Macy Carver, and stuck out his tongue.

10. The sign in front of St Barnaby’s Home for the Hopeless, Abandoned, Forgotten and Lost read CRUSHINNG THE SPIRIT OF CHLDHOOD SINCE 1898.

10 comments:

  1. I love 8 and 10. Do please post the books these lines came from -- I want go to read them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The sign in front of St Barnaby’s Home for the Hopeless, Abandoned, Forgotten and Lost read CRUSHINNG THE SPIRIT OF CHLDHOOD SINCE 1898."

    I used to work there.
    Sincerely,
    Shy Guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie, next first lines post will have all the answers and ten new lines. Looking forward to seeing you here again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, shy guy, I have a place for you to go in my next first line post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a reader, I would want to continue reading numbers 1, 3, and maybe 8, 9, and 10, but definitely 1 and 3. 9 would be more interesting if it was told from Macy's point of view in first person.

    I am always curious as to what makes certain books available to readers (published) and other books not. I eagerly await the answers.

    I noticed that the posts are about 1 week apart (the last two anyway). Please don't make me wait a whole week to find out. I don't think I could stand it!

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the inner workings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear reading with a flashlight
    Sorry to make you wait. I have to come up with ten new lines before I can post the answers.
    Thank you for reading!!1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see the answers. Nope. I don't recognize these, but there are several that hooked me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well the answers are up and so is the next group of first lines. Head for the library and or bookstore and check them out!
    Thanks for commenting Lori. When am I going to see a first line from you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Sue, for highlighting my book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some of my faves:

    The day I decided to steal a dog was the same days that my best friend, Luann Godfrey, found out I lived in a car.

    I am Ivan. I am gorilla.
    It's not as easy as it looks.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you.