Monday, October 3, 2016

Getting Reviews for Your Book

by Susan J Berger

The last ten days have been crazy/amazing.
My new book, Mom Is There a Santa Claus? came out on September 20.  Currently it's available as a paperback on Barnes and Noble and Amazon and as a 5.00 PDF for your eReader at Guardian Angel Publishing.

When I found out, the book was out on Amazon and B&N,  I was thrilled. (I worked a night shoot on American Horror Story on the 21st and didn't open my email for a couple of days.) Now I needed to try and get reviews. I am still working on that because I did two additional days on AHS, traveled to Port Angeles WA for my sister's 65th birthday plus I had blog posts due, an audition to film and pages due for my picture book critique group and my romance book critique group. And I am still playing catch up. I also want to find someone to translate Mom is There a Santa Claus? into Spanish. Oh the magic and confusion of living!
Getting Reviews 
I started by reaching out to fellow authors, offering a PDF ARC in exchange for reviews. I had a few takers. The offer is still open. If anyone wants a PDF ARC, email me at sueberger3@aol.com

I put Mom Is There a Santa Claus?  on SCBWI's winter reading list. I purchased an SCBWI Book Blast page.

Here is a list of reviewers I wanted to contact:

The Midwest Book Review
http://www.midwestbookreview.com/get_rev.htm Reviewing print books/CDs/DVDs is always free of charge. They charge a 50.00 Reader Fee for eBooks
I now have my books, so I will be sending one.

The Picture Book Reviews
https://thepicturebookreview.com/review-policy-disclosures/
If you’d like to contact me, please send me an email at: thepicturebookreview@gmail.com.
Review Policy: Hello! As of January 1, 2015:  I happily accept picture books for review.  If we love the book, I’ll write a review about it.   I accept physical copies only — ARCs, galleys, etc. are fine — it just needs to be something I can sit down and read with my family.Thank you so much for thinking of me.  I’m flattered that you’d like your book reviewed on my site. Also, good luck with your book!  Picture book authors and illustrators
I will be contacting her. 
Readers Favorites.Com
https://readersfavorite.com/book-reviews.htm  All reviews are free. They post on their Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, Amazon and Barnes and Noble. You CAN pay for more stuff. I didn't want to. I submitted an ARC PDF for review on 9/25. The review was up 4 days later.
Here's what their contact page says:
I am an author, publisher or publicity agent and I would like my book to be reviewed on Kidsreads.com. What do I do?
To submit a book for review on Kidsreads.com, please send it to:
The Book Report Network
250 West 57th Street
Suite 1228
New York, NY 10107
Although we cannot guarantee a review, we consider every book that comes into our office. Due to the volume of submissions that we receive, we cannot contact authors or publishers on the status of a book for review. Typically books are reviewed within 3 months of publication. We suggest you sign up for our newsletter, which will list the content that we are promoting.
Please note that at this time we do not review eBooks, POD Books and other self-published titles as we only offer books that are available with wide distribution offline as well as online.

Places I will not submit:

Kirkus Book reviews. HUGELY expensive. If your publisher is paying. Great.
The Children's Book Review
https://www.thechildrensbookreview.com/dedicated-review-submissions $195 for a review. No thanks. They doo have a place where you can giveaway a copy of your book. That might be worth checking out.

 Places to check out:

They have a list of websites. I have not checked them all out yet.
Next week I am one of a group of local authors doing an event at the Burbank Public Library. Please drop by. Hilde is baking me cookies to attract buyers. My hope is a few people will be interested in buying a book, but you can have a cookie without buying a book. Also a bookmark or two.
Burbank Public Library Local Authors' Showcase

Saturday, October 15, 2016 -
1:00pm to 4:00pm
300 N. Buena Vista St
 Burbank, CA 91505

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL AUTHORS.
Come and meet 50 local authors of mystery, science fiction, fantasy, children’s, young adult, self-help, romance, horror, and more!
Buy books, get autographs, and meet new authors.
Door prizes will be provided by the Friends of the Burbank Public Library.
 Now many of you are a lot more experienced than I am. Have you got any advice for me on where to get reviews, or how to get my book into a library? I am so grateful for advice. For those of you that are new at promoting. I hope the above helps.


2 comments:

  1. I must say the blog post is just useful for everyone else reading it because the information and knowledge it contains is very important



    Best Crude Oil Tips Provider

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for providing these sites. Promoting is SO hard!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you.