Saturday, June 19, 2010

Answers to the Last First Line Post

by Susan Berger

1. They say that just before you die you whole life flashes before you eyes, but that’s not how it happened for me.
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
(This is a debut novel and is on the New York Times best seller list.)

2. So mom got a postcard today. It says Congratulations in big curly letters and at the very top is the address of Studio TV-15 on West 58th Street. After three years of trying, she has actually made it. She is going to be a contestant on the 20,000 Pyramid which is hosted by Dick Clark
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.
(This is a second novel – also on the NY Times Best seller list.)

3. First catch your dragon
How to Train Your Dragon written and illustrated by Cressida Cowell.
(First in a series of incredibly popular books. You may have seen the movie)







4. It was my aunt who decided to give me to the Dragon. Not that she was evil or didn’t care for me. It’s just that we were very poor and she was, as we said in those parts, dumber than two turnips in a rain barrel.
Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George
( I think this is a first book. I am going to read it.)

5. It’s my first morning of high school. I have seven new notebooks, a skirt I hate, and a stomachache.
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson





6. The first thing I notice as the plane lands at LAX is that it is cloudy and pouring rain. So much for the myth that it’s always sunny in Los Angeles.
Beige by Cecil Castelucci

7. Since I’ve been pretty much treading water all day, the marquee of the Rialto Theatre looks like the prow of a ship coming to save me.
Stoner & Spaz by Ron Koertge

8. “Little Man would you come on? You keep it up and you’re gonna make us late.” My younger brother paid no attention to me. Grasping more firmly his newspaper-wrapped notebook and his tin-can lunch of cornbread an oil sausages, he continued to concentrate on the dusty road.
Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor.
(A fabulous book. Oldie but goodie. Well worth your time.)

9. When I got off the bus that crisp January morning and stepped on to the parking lot, the only thing I could see was a crowd of students gathered near the east wall of our school. It looked like some sort of outdoor rock concert, except instead of holding up lights and swaying to a heavy guitar ballad, people were raising their cell phones to snap pictures and inching forward amid the rumbling.
Tagged by Mara Purnhager.
(This is a first novel)

10. Everyone knows I’m perfect. My life is perfect. My clothes are perfect. And although it’s a complete lie, I’ve worked my butt off to keep up the appearance that I have it all. The truth, if it were to come out, would destroy my entire picture-perfect image.
Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

I am sure all of you have written lots of stories. Won't you please send me your favorite first line that you ever wrote? We will pick ten and post them as the next group of first lines. Send your entries to penink04@gmail.com

Namaste!! (I did not steal this from Lee. We both love this.)

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy the first lines, because it opens the doors to books I've never heard of. Thanks for sharing them.
    Blessings,
    J. Aday Kennedy
    The Differently-Abled Writer
    Children's picture Book Klutzy Kantor
    Coming Soon Marta Gargantuan Wings

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to remember the first lines by the time I finish reading a book, but they're sure important when it comes to making me start one.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you.