Thursday, April 9, 2020

Covid Blues and Links to great first lines

by Susan J Berger
Wow! Are we having crazy fun or what?  My hair is gray and red because I have two weeks of filming left on Joel Coen's Macbeth and I can't cut or dye my hair till it's over. Production shut down March 13 along with every other film. Production to be continued when Shelter in Place ends.

I don't know about you, but I am finding it hard to concentrate. I only want to reread books. Books in which I know what will happen. Books I know will leave me happy.

I watch little TV, Zero news, and try to visit Facebook only once a day. I find it to be a sinkhole.
I did find this wonderful video there: Some Good News with John Krasinski and a couple of wonderful surprise guests.
I cried for happy at the end.

My picture book critique group held its first Zoom meeting last Friday and it was so soul-satisfying to see everyone.

I forget who mentioned the SCBWI Digital workshops. When The Zoom meeting was over I headed to SCBWI and signed up for the next one.You can do that here: https://www.scbwi.org/scbwi-digital-workshops/
. While listening to this workshop I realized that I had used all of Sara's and Lin Oliver's examples for great first lines in blog posts on Pen and Ink. Here's a link to the list of First Line Posts
https://thepenandinkblog.blogspot.com/p/links-to-first-line-posts-by-susan.html
If you fell like some great first lines, please start there.
First lines can be really inspiring.

If you can't write now, that's okay. You are storing up.
Please take care of yourself.
Stay panic-free. Avoid News and Facebook rumors. 
If you have a critique group, please consider a Zoom meeting.
Sending you all air hugs.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you.